Sunday, January 25, 2009





I don’t know if money can buy lasting happiness but I strongly believe that money can buy happiness. A lot of happiness! (I can hear people scream already. I am coming to what money cannot buy.) Money at least brings you that momentary joy. It may be short-lived, it may be transient, but the point is, it makes you happy. Let’s get real!

Call me materialistic or brand me shallow but material possessions do make me happy. The more the number of zeroes that can come on my paycheck, the happier I will be . A new watch revives my flagging spirits, nice clothes make me happy, a new gizmo enlivens my life! I’m speaking with utmost candour and honesty here!

Now I’m not saying I need a BMW to make me happy. I’m not saying I need an vacation to the Palm Islands, Dubai to make me happy. I’m not saying a lavish Mehrangarh fort for a home would make me happy. I’m not saying if I had this this this, I’d be a happier person. I am not wallowing in self-pity whilst comparing myself to the person-next-door. Do not misconstrue my statement. But what the hell, money makes life easier…a lot lot lot easier!

It's a natural, deep-seated human trait to crave for more. If you have a sea-facing apartment, you pin your hopes on a sea-facing bungalow. But isn't being satisfied being complacent?

I also know ‘true happiness’ comes from within, from forging deep human connections, from relationships, from giving, from spiritual wealth and not material wealth. But enjoying material pleasures is no sin! And is happiness not eluding the so-called happy people who condemn worldly pleasures?

I know money also buys you fake friends, pretentious relatives, flattery, stress and even problems on your way up. Even the Ambanis are battling their share of problems; even the legendary L.N Mittal might not be sleeping peacefully. Even the famed investor Warren Buffet is not a stress-free man but even the roadside beggar cannot sleep on his empty stomach, even the average middle classer worries himself to sleep! Even the slum dweller living out a meagre existence is a worried man!

I have no qualms about proclaiming that money is the much needed prescription for unhappiness and frustration. It at least resolves a huge chunk of your problems if not all your problems.

I also know… Money can buy a bed, but not sleep. Food, but not appetite. House, but not home. But I cannot imagine my life without money and the material happiness it guarantees. This happiness may be fleeting but even relationships come with an expiry date…this does not mean we snap ties with people! The human life comes with an expiry date…this does not mean we stop living! Why single out material happiness then?

The equation between happiness and money is a conundrum. I know this topic is subjective, it’s hugely debatable so let me put it safely by saying money can rent happiness, but not buy happiness!

10 comments:

Gaurav DobhaL said...

very well put. Applaud your honesty but a very personal perspective. Surely deep inside many would agree.. Believe me though, many others would say, its simple happyness, partial with their parameters to judge would be happy with what they get,till they are doing what they like, eat what satisfies them. As you said, many comes with a lot of other attributes..sleepless nights, responsibilities..you have em, and can deal with em, well and good..it aint that bad even otherwise.

ricky said...

well atleast there is some1 who shares the same attitude with me

belive me i never thought of so much similarities b/w us b4

blogspot rocks man
n u guyz too....

keep scribblin tanmay

Sanket said...

Tanmay setting his eye on the Moolah...Sure it does bring you whatever you want...We all want various things. Enjoy all comforts money gives you. Just the one thing, if you ever got to give away what money has brought you due to bad circumstances, you should be ready for that. Enjoying comforts aign't bad, but addiction is bad. Good to use more and more facilities, but even better if you could give away any of it if time be!!

Gauresh Rane said...

Good post .Truly gives u the real inherent human nature.But I truly feel tanmay has played safe,talking on both sides.I wanted it to be more one sided.Sorry for being so critical tanmay.But like the thought and the plot of the post.

Pratiksha Mainkar said...

at the end of the day it is all about the money.moolah matters.but like they say money is a bad master but a very good servant.it is somehow more comfy 2 cry in a bmw then on a cycle,isnt it?

an ordinary man said...

@khandu
...there are many who same the same attitude jus they wont accept publicly...and there are many other qualities that set u far apart from me.

@sanket
...seriously a gr8 advice i'll surely remember this my entire life

@gauresh
...u don't need to be so formal bindaas criticize any of my posts u don't like. I obviously need a different point of view on every aspect to improve myself .

omkar said...

oye gud one again...lagta hai in dino tu kuch kangal sa hai...is liye aise aise topic soojh rahe hain...hehe..wel..almost entire world runs 4 money..1 might argue money is not really necessary 2 b happy...but den at d end of d day he's goin 2 slog his ass 4 d same..but yes i wud also like 2 add dat though money is much important,it's not at d top of d list of things dat can make 1 happy...der r still more imp things..
keep writin man...

Unknown said...

Very well put...
After all the big comments that you see all around, Money can buy u a bed, but not sleep...blah blah, Something in sync with reality. I outright agree with you, u do need some amount on money to be happy in lyf!
I really dont think one can survive on those Hindi picture cliche`s "All we need is love" Duh!!!

But something i strongly believe in is that the poorest of the man will always have the best of friends.This friendships will not have an iota of self interest. The richer, the more popular you are, the more phoney your friends.

P.S: You seem to have an aptitude for selecting topics that'll stir a hornet's nest :D

ricky said...

btw im khandelwal not khandu
better take care of these next time

can u plz guide me wht all qualities tht set u apart 4m me

Sammyz said...

'This happiness may be fleeting but even relationships come with an expiry date'
loved this line..pretty profound...i am all for money...i feel money is essentially an ego booster which may be good or bad depending on person's attributes...and if i have sleepless nites cos of money like ppl claim i can always hire a shrink or pop up prescription pills rather than not having a luxury to afford it.
i seriously applaud u for being honest about being materialistic....its a consumer's world and we all are slaves to corporal needs