Thursday, November 27, 2008

Damn the spirit of Mumbai

Post the attacks in a calm moment, I came across this article in a newspaper,
Dear terrorist
You cannot defeat us we are Mumbaikars (our) spirit is very strong and cannot be harmed.

WHAT THE FUCK…I hate the spirit of Mumbai. I had thought of this the last time terror struck Mumbai and then, I couldn't find words to explain why. Now I do. I love Mumbai and I'm a hardcore Mumbaikar. But I hate the so called Spirit of Mumbai. It is what makes us get back on our feet every time we are attacked…. Every time we are so royally fucked….I don't know when was the last time that the BSE and NSE declared 'No Trading'. So maybe this time, things will be different. Maybe the spirit of Mumbai will be broken. Don't get me wrong. I want Mumbai to get back on its feet. But not back to normal.I dont want people just walking back to work as nothing grave happened. I want Mumbai to fight back. I want Mumbai to give a stern reply to all these people. This time I don't want the reply to be 'Let's get back on our feet' No! I want it to be 'Let's give it back to them. If we have to die Lets give them hell before we die.' How? I have no idea. But for once, I don't want to lie down, I don't want be trapped in my house, I don't want my parents and friends to wonder if I will make it back home, I don't want to fear!!
Why this is hard-hitting this time rather than the usual modus operandi where those spineless motherfuckers just plant bombs and run away to watch the fun from some place far away…this time they have come out in the open as if there is nothing to fear…. Leopold CafĂ©, Colaba Causeway is where I could have been, where my friends could have been. All the people who lost their lives were somebody's family, somebody's friends. They were people who had lives, who had dreams. As their dreams are crushed, let the spirit of Mumbai be crushed.
Lighting candles or changing your display pictures (I'm sorry guys but lets face it) isn't going to help. The government is not going to see it nor are the future attackers. I'm not going to do anything like this because I don't want to get this burden off my conscience. I have done nothing yet . And I want it to pinch me till I do something. Does your conscience pinch you?

5 comments:

Gaurav DobhaL said...

way to go tanmay. Giving a slap for a pat looks like the only language a man understands today. But really , these people don't have a face. No one knows where they are. They could be somewhere in the mountains or be scrapping a friend as I write. Think about it, bang-bang with eyes closed could seed more of them. There's nothing much you can do after you're bombed can you.. 'spirit of mumbai..' is just an impulsive reaction out of fear, strangely only to cover it. But I guess till a concrete solution to what's to be done to launch back isn't produced, we have to keep picking up pieces and keep moving on, slow but steady.

Sanket said...

yes you are right. they say it 'spirit of mumbai' and that life goes on here after any incident.but life really goes on due to compulsion. People go out to work again for sake of bread and butter. And yes, we could have easily been to one of the places being attacked. Life moves on only because none of our dear ones died. It's important that young blood like us stands up during such incidents and be counted.

pratap kaul said...

like you have pointed out and sanket has pointed out..spirit of mumbai is overdone...yes we are strong and everything and resilent and all tht bullshit but we have a breaking point too which has been reached this time..lets c what is done to rejuvenate that spirit which frankly after these attacks has taken a beating

gaurav said...

i agree with sanket
i have been skeptical of the so called spirit of Mumbai right from the beginning.As naseeruddin Shah rightly says in A Wednesday, "We are resilient by force, not by choice."
The average Mumbaikar's mentality is something like
"Okay. There has been a blast. too bad. but our netas are'nt going to do anything about it. So why should I care? Why should I lose sleep over something thats not going to change?"

Unknown said...

well i understand everything that people feel...but it is really difficult...its easy to say...dificult to do...we blame the government...but could the govt do anything while around 500 liveswere in the hands of terrorists...its better to negotiate than having more lives lost...india being a welfare state cannot really have more deaths due to such attacks... and cannot really attack them when their sword is on our throat. but ya we have 1 option and that is to destroy their terrorist camps...for that we need the support of pakistan and if pakistan is...in fact supporting them...then destroy it as well...but all these things require a lot of money and funding...and we cant really take the risk of screwing our economy...and we cant even put ALL the money for our safety... so it should be balanced well...which i think the government IS doing...